Municipality of Ilirska Bistrica
Ilirska Bistrica is the town with about 5,000 inhabitants, located in the northern Ilirska basin. It lies on the edge of the fossil landslide at the foot of Snežnik and spills over streams Bistrica, moths and Pile of river Reka. The municipality (480 km2, a little over 14,000 inhabitants) comprises forested valley of Snežnik and Reka, the eastern part of the Brkini and valley of Podgrad.
Location Bistrica is first mentioned in the 1300th.
Around 1830 it was first mentioned as Illyrian Bistrica. During the period of Austro-state settlement was tried even under Carniola, Istria borders with a place on the ridge Brkini. The village was the district court with the revenue service. In 1864 they founded the Illyrian Bistrica National Reading Room. In 1911, it became the market, four decades later (1952) there was also formally recognized by the city rights. In the period between the two world wars was Ilirska Bistrica, under the authority of Italy.
Because of its location, the area of the city and county Ilirska Bistrica already in pre-Roman and Roman times, but later strongly marked history. This is borne out by numerous archaeological excavations. Extra large fossil landslide, which was only discovered in 2011 and described by geologist Ladislav Placer, a superior geological and geomorphological natural heritage of global significance.
Hill climb race on Šembije is the most famous and well-known annual event there, it attracts viewers from all over Slovenia as well as abroad.